blogging for beginners

johngoldfine@acadia.takethisouttomailme.net

Sunday, June 20, 2004

* Blog bells & whistles, blog resistance

June 19. Going to a lot of blogging websites and teaching-blogging websites to prep for my blog course this fall and my other blog course this fall. Yes, I'll be talking to the boss's boss next week about getting admin support to find students who might like to take an ENG 101 special topics: Web Communications. I suppose that after talking with the boss's boss, it will all become incredibly difficult, darn near impossible for a dozen good reasons I just wasn't privy to, and I'll leave the office feeling like a fool for coming up with such nonsense and bike home cursing myself for wasting my time yet again. But it's hardly fair to tax admins with being woefully out of touch and then refuse to talk to them when they ask me three times....

Anyway, I get tired of figuring out the blog bells and whistles very fast. I have to get just enough of it so that I can at least tell my students what it is I'm NOT going to help them with--stuff like blogrolls, counters, and template tweaking. The basics are what I'm trying to teach myself and what I'll pass along.

The actual writing I feel less diffident about.

June 19. Resistance to blogs. I mentioned something I'd blogged to a colleague the other day, and she wrinkled her nose as if I'd committed an obvious solecism. She doesn't want to face reading it--but she doesn't want to face not reading it either! Blog fatigue, blog resistance!

I have shortcuts to 20 blogs on my desktop. I check four or five of them every day, religiously. Some of the others, though, while I liked them once--and for all I know, still would, if I read them--I have a huge resistance to opening. I don't really know why. Some are political or educational, some are personal. Some are loquacious, others laconic. Some have nifty graphics, some don't. I don't know why. Just fickle, I guess.

Eventually, I come on a new blog I like, make a shortcut, and delete one of the old shortcuts, feeling like a heel as I do. What kind of friend am I to Sgt Stryker or Tony Woodlief or James Lileks to be dumping their blogs from my blogroll?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home